Friday, July 24, 2015

ONE NEWARK...ANOTHER DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER!

Today, a distressed parent by the name of Sara Ferreira from the Ironbound section of Newark contacted our team at the #PARENTPOWER Movement for help. She is being pummeled by the NPS district and their One Newark Plan. Take a look at her story with our team.

THIS JUST IN FROM A NPS PARENT...

SF: Hi my name is Sara Ferreira and I am having issues with. One Newark Enrollment.

PPM: let's start from the beginning. What age is your child and school you are trying to apply to? What district do you live in?

SF: I live in the East District. My son is 4 & I am trying to apply to Oliver St. My daughter is already attending Oliver and is in 2nd grade. I am an Alumni of Oliver St. School as well.

PPM: Tell us what is going on?

SF: I applied online in 2014 for Pre-k3. I received a letter back stating there were too many applicants and not enough seats in PreK 3 & my application for my son was voided for enrollment for 2014. I than applied again online in 2015. April 27th to be exact. I also took my writen application  directly to the school. They were  not very friendly nor helpful and just told me I had to apply online and deal with NPS. NPS told me I had to wait for response. I checked every day for a status update.

In June, I got a letter telling me there was no match & I had to come to the walkin enrollment center. I was told to bring ID and 3 proofs of financial information. I asked why is this necessary for enrollment. They wouldn't answermy question!

PPM: DO NOT EVER PROVIDE THEM WITH PERSONAL FINANCIAL INFORMATION TO ENROLL YOUR CHILD! Did they give you placement?

SF: No they told me I had tonbe on a waiting list. I said why doesn't  One Newark Plan state if a sibling attends the school already family will get 1st preference? They did not answer. They were rude and unhelpful. So I left and went to Assemblywoman Pintor-Marins office for help. I gave her a couple of days and she said she went to NPS with a "List" and NPS told her there was nothing they can do. NPS said all classes are full as they only allow 15 in a class. Now I know there is more than that in PreK classes. I contact Councilman Amador via Facebook Message but as of this call there still has not been a reply. I called the NTU and they said they would try to help but I should also call the #PARENTPOWER Team as you guys are helping parents out. I am about to contact a lawyer.

PPM# Sorry they are putting you threw all this mess. Do you mind us telling your story?

SF: Please do. I NEED HELP!

PPM: We are going to work as hard as we can to get you help and answers!

THIS IS YET AGAIN ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW THE ONE NEWARK PLAN IS FAILLING OUR FAMILIES!

If this is the choice we as families are now offered by the district and the State DOE...you can have it!

1 comment:

  1. She is correct. They are requiring parents to provide 1 months proof of income to register for preschool!! Since when has income been a deciding factor as to who gets into preschool!!! The reason for this is because they now have 4000 head start spots to fill so they anyone who qualifies will be placed in a "head start" program even if they don't want one. I work at a preschool here and I have prek4 kids that didn't get a kindergarten match just like Sara said. The parents received a letter to go to an enrollment center...such BS! The whole income crap makes me so mad! And as a side note...we are only allowed to have 15 children per class in prek3 and prek4. It's when they go on to Kindergarten that there 30+ in a class.

    ReplyDelete