Friday, July 31, 2015

YOUR MENTAL HEALTH IS NOT COVERED UNDER IEPs!

We get so many contacts from families pouring their hearts out about their experiences trying to get their children the right to free and fair education. This latest story tugged on my heart strings and hit very close to home.

Parent:
I need your help!Pl

PPM:
Whats going on? How can we help?

Parent:
My son has adhd/bipolar disorder he just graduated 8th grade. Very long story short...the principal PROMISED me she would make sure he got into West Caldwell for high school. That didn't happen . From what I understand they have a space for him they just need his IEP. But my son has no IEP. Child study team says it wasn't warranted! But apparently the principal felt it was since he sat in special ed all year with no IEP. I know she has tried to do for my son and I appreciate it but now what am I to do come September? Principal told me (last week of school) request another evaluation from CAT and she would push it through so it can be done over the summer. I've heard nothing. I text the principal yesterday and she said she would check on it but I've heard nothing since. When is enough enough? When do the students actually start to matter?

PPM:
Have you contacted SPAN? What school did he graduated from and what school are you hoping to get your son into? Mental health is a very close subject to us and your story is hitting home.

Parent:
I've tried to give the principal the benefit of the doubt that she would come through but it's just not happening. I did tell her on the last day of school that if he didn't have a school in Sept. We would be in her office every single day until he has one. I don't understand how they think it's ok to do this to people. He graduated from McKinley. I was very adimant from day 1 I want him in West Caldwell for H.S. she agreed that would be the best place for him and promised she would get him there. We applied to West Caldwell, Bloomfield Tech, & 13th (in that order).  Then the V.P said I had to fill out a One Newark form. I told them he's not going into a Public HS in Newark. But to be compliant I went in and said "I don't know what you want me to write on here, he's not going to these schools." The principal filled it out and his acceptance that came back was for East Side High School (which is not even a possibility or a choice for us). In a conversation with the principal she asked if he had to go to a Public high school  in Newark where do I want him, I told her Science Park. Haven't heard anything on that either!

PPM:
They chose the school for you? Why would you need a One Newark app if he was going to school outside of Newark?

Parent:
He told me the board of ed required one for every student.

PPM:
That is absurd. But we wasnt planning on going to a Newark Public Scbool! They also need to educate themselves on how mental illness does require IEPs. That is narrow minded thinking.

Parent:
His case worker said an IEP wasn't warranted. Of course it wasnt....he was in the classroom he belongs in and he was on meds. When he was in a Gen ed class and also in an inclusion class I was always getting called in. They make no sense, and my son is the one who suffers. 6th grade was so bad he was physically ill at the thought of going to school. Vomiting and diareah. Finally in Feb of 6th grade after an issue with a teacher and the then V.P I signed him out of school. We went to Barnes & Noble and bought a ton of workbooks for him to do, went to the library for books and I made him do book reports for me. He was home half of 6th and all of 7th and No one cared! No one cared to help us!

PPM:
He was already diagnosed with BP in 6th or did it come after?

Parent:
Yes in 3rd grade

PPM :
Unfair the school put him through that!

Parent:
It was real bad and as a parent I have to protect my child. Everyday he would get in the car and cry the whole way home. All  night he would have stomach pains and then in the morning he'd be throwing up. He's had multiple anxiety attacks! When he went back to school in September the principal had him on a staggered schedule. She felt he had "school phobia". So the first couple weeks he would go in until 10:30, then 11:30, then 1, then full day.

PPM:
Does he a therapist that can refer the IEP?

Parent :
He's not currently in therapy. I'm trying to find a good one for him. His pediatrician was refilling his meds for him because she is aware of the diagnosis. Early teen years are hard enough for kids. They are faced with tons of choices and for a kid who NEEDS structure...this situation isn't good. His grades are great. Even though his report. He's very intelligent. He didn't do great on the Terranova. He was nervous and also he's supposed to have a 504 which he's had since 3rd grade.

PPM:
We know its hard. SPAN should help. Mental health issues are just as serious as physical or learning disabilities. What is your top choice to get him in? Would you be willing to share your story?

Parent:
West Caldwell was our top choice, I'd settle for Bloomfield Tech. I never heard anything from Bloomfield Tech, I was told west caldwell has a spot for him if he has an IEP. So I submitted another request like the principal told me. She said she would push it through to be done over the summer. So far nothing. I text the principal and she keeps saying she's gonna check on it but that's it.

PPM :
Call SPAN today if u can lets push for that IEP as first step. Would u mind us sharing your story. We can keep  your name anonymous.

PARENT:
Yes please do.

PPM:
We will follow up with you tomorrow to see how you made out with SPAN.

Parent:
Thank You!

Mental health disorders such as ADHD and Bipolar Disorder are very serious and can impact not only a child's educational experience but how the world sees them. Just because you don't see a mental illness or because society still wants to stigmatize those who have mental  disorders doesn't mean that our children with mental health issues don't  deserve the same rights to fair special needs education and the rights of evaluations or IEPs. 

This is yet another solid example of The One Newark CHOICE! Now they are just telling you "your child will go to this school and thats about it!" I guess the brainiacks who developed the One Newark Algorithm simply left out the programming lanuaguage for the parameters for true choice. Not only does this family have to fight for choice but now they have to fight to prove that a mental health diagnosis since 3rd grade is worth a Child Study Team evaluation and an IEP to ensure their child's education is fair!

We will keep you posted on this family's journery.

No comments:

Post a Comment